RSS Feed Is this your first time here? Get regular updates

How To Use Filters in SharePoint to show items in the current Calendar Month

Date:November 26th, 2009 Author: Tags: , , ,
Category: Calculated Columns, Filter, SharePoint Ideas Comments:174 ;

Its very easy using the Filter feature of SharePoint views to show only items completed in the last 30 days or items due in the next X days; for example :-

Completed >= [Today]-30

On the Advanced SharePoint View and Filter techniques post Ed asked how you could filter for the current calendar month rather than a rolling 30 day period (for example all tasks due this calendar month).

Like all great questions it seemed simple enough – something like only showing items where the Month and Year of the due date = the Month and Year of the current date.

Alas, we can’t use [Today] in calculated columns and we can’t use functions like Month([Due Date]) in the filter – so this approach will not work.

The solution is to turn this on its head – its a bit weird, so bear with me!

We need to have two calculated fields, one showing the first day of the month that the due date is in and one showing the last day of the month that the due date is in.

We can then use the filter to show only records where

[Today] >= First Day Of Month

AND

[Today] <= Last Day Of Month

So looking at this in graphical form we have :-

Timeline

Timeline

• In this diagram the current date is 15th Nov (the orange dotted line).
  • Task 1 & 2 should be shown if the current date [Today] is in between the first and the last day of November (the blue line)
  • Task 3 will not be shown until [Today] is between the first and the last day of December (the blue line)
create-column To put this into SharePoint open your list, click Settings > List settings > Create Column and setup the following two columns.

• The first column will be called something like Start of Month
  • Set the column type to Calculated and the data type to Date only
  • Uncheck the ‘Add to default view’ button as we want these columns to stay behind the scenes
  • The Start of Month column formula should be
    =DATE(YEAR([Due Date]), MONTH([Due Date]), 1)
  • The End of Month formula :-
    =DATE(YEAR([Due Date]), MONTH([Due Date])+1,1)-1

(Which is the first day of next month - 1)

View a few records to check the formula is working OK and you see the correct dates.

View-filter Now create a new view, call it something like “Due This Month” and setup the filter for

Start of Month is less than or equal to [Today]
 AND
End of Month is greater than or equal to [Today]

Further tips

You can use this with date fields other than [Due Date] – e.g. [Created] for items created in the current month, [Modified] for items well… urm… modified in the current month!

Using the same technique you can also use the following formula

The current week (Sunday to Saturday inclusive)

Start Week =[Due Date] - WEEKDAY([Due Date]) +1
 End Week   =[Due Date] +7 - WEEKDAY([Due Date])
(For other definitions of the a week see this post)

The previous month

Start Month =DATE(YEAR([Due Date]), MONTH([Due Date])+1, 1)
 End Month   =DATE(YEAR([Due Date]), MONTH([Due Date])+2,1)-1

The next month

Start Month =DATE(YEAR([Due Date]), MONTH([Due Date])-1, 1)
 End Month   =DATE(YEAR([Due Date]), MONTH([Due Date]),1)-1

The current year

Start Year =DATE(YEAR([Due Date]),1,1)
 End Year   =DATE(YEAR([Due Date]),12,31)

I should make clear that this technique will not work correctly on Event lists with recurring event as SharePoint only records the start time of the first event, not each occurrence in the series.

References

Free SharePoint Calculated Column Cheat Sheet
a handy 3 page reference for calculated column functions and formulas.

Tags: , , ,

Did you enjoy this post? Get the next one by RSS or by email

174 Responses to “How To Use Filters in SharePoint to show items in the current Calendar Month”

1. D Sherwood says:

I have 90 employees who are responsible for taking approximately 17 training classes once a year. I have worked for weeks trying to figure out how to configure the list to provide views for what has been completed and what is due. HELP! I’m tracking by employee with a colum for each course and their completion dates. I need to be able to either color code when someone is about to have some training due or be able to setup an alert.

2. Ryan says:

Mr Sherwood – I’ve sent you an email asking for more details as this question is a bit too in-depth for a blog post comment discussion and we do have some products that will be able to help you – Reminder and Highlighter

3. D Sherwood says:

Where I work, there are about 90 people (give or take). Each one is required to take “x” number of training classes annually. I have a list where each person is listed on the Y axis and each class is a column. When users complete the training they go in and put a date in the column of the training they’ve completed. I’d like to be able to color code the cells or send an alert to folks who are within 30 days of having that annual training (course/class) come due. Many thanks for your quick response. Oh, and the platform is SP 2010.
    Cheers!

4. Ryan says:

D Sherwood – I can’t help you in these comment sections – your question is just too detailed. As you can see from my previous reply I’ve emailed you from our support address – please reply to that email and I’ll do what I can to help.

5. Michael says:

Hi

I have managed to get the initial section working i.e. Start Month End Month but i am trying to create a new view to only show those tasks for the next month so followed the formula:

The next month

Start Month =DATE(YEAR([Due Date]), MONTH([Due Date])-1, 1)
    End Month =DATE(YEAR([Due Date]), MONTH([Due Date]),1)-1

But not sure what the filter needs to be to only show this criteria, please can you help.

Thanks

6. Ryan says:

@Michael – Erm, if you read the blog post again it does show how to set the View filter.

7. Alan says:

Hi Ryan,

I have tried using these formulas and others from your cheat sheet on our SharePoint 2013 server and nothing works. I either get an error or nothing. Here is an example formula and the error:

=DATE(YEAR([Created]), MONTH([Created]), 1)
    The formula contains reference(s) to field(s).

Do you know of a configuration setting that might be wrong?

8. Ryan says:

Alan – you’re trying to use that formula in the Default Value box, NOT in a Calculated Column – check the article above carefully.

As an aside – the reason why you can’t use it in a Default Value is at the point that formula is worked out its a brand new record – it doesn’t have a Created Date or a ID or anything else as it doesn’t yet exist.

9. Anthony Pizzuto says:

Hello,

Thank you for this information. Very helpful. Curious though, I have multiple milestones every week and I’d like to show a breakdown of ALL milestones for a given week, I tried the following in a calculated column:

=DATE(YEAR([Column 1],[Column 2],[Column 3],[Column 4],[Column 5],[Column 6],[Column 7],[Column 8]), WEEKDAY([Column 1],[Column 2],[Column 3],[Column 4],[Column 5],[Column 6],[Column 7],[Column 8]) +1

However on submit I get “Sorry, something went wrong” The formula contains a syntax error or is not supported.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Thank you!
    Anthony

10. Ryan says:

@Anthony,

Thats not a valid formula as most of the functions like DATE, YEAR, WEEKDAY etc can only accept one column not multiple ones.

I don’t think you’re going to be able to do this with multiple milestone columns as you SharePoint filters don’t support the complex order of filters – like (Start1 AND End1) OR (Start2 AND End2) … – that you would need to pull this off. Sorry it wasn’t better news!

11. Anthony Pizzuto says:

No worries. Thanks for the quick reply!

12. Puja says:

Hi Ryan,

After combing through just so many blogs, must say this is a very helpful & well written post.

I am trying to show the events happening in the calendar which meet the below conditions, –
    1. The even has started and is running now
    2.Event upcoming in the next two hours

The calendar I’m working with has recurring events. Please can you help ?
    Cheers !

13. Ryan says:

@Pujs – Thanks. You can’t do what you’re after with SharePoint unless you write lots and lots of custom code. Sorry! (See “this doesn’t work on Event lists with recurring events” in post above)

14. Puja says:

Thanks Ryan for getting back.
    I’ll probably have to stick to a view where we show events which are occurring now.

Cheers !

15. Scott says:

Ryan,

Thanks for a great post. I am having trouble getting this working. I am using a SharePoint 2007 contact list and have a date and time field labeled birthdays in the format mm/dd/yyyy. I have followed your instructions to the t and can get nothing to show up in the filtered list. Testing with a view that shows birthdate, start of month, and end of month fields shows that the calculated fields are working properly, but the final birthday view is empty. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

16. Scott says:

Ryan,

I think I have figured out what is going on (at least in part). I bulk added 160 records through the “Edit in Datasheet” view. Those birthdays don’t show up in the filter I have created. If I manually add a record, the birthday shows up. Any thoughts on this?

17. Ryan says:

I’ve no idea – at a guess have you checked the calculated columns to see if they have the right info in them? Perhaps they didn’t get calculated when you did the bulk insert.

18. Scott says:

Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I did some more testing on this and discovered that if I add a birthday with the current month AND current year(2015) it works as expected. How would I change the start of month and end of month formulas to look at only the month and not the year?

19. Scott says:

Just read over your very good instructions and realized that the filter is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. I am a noob!

20. Scott says:

Ryan,

Any thoughts on how to filter just for the current month and not the year?

21. Ryan says:

Scott – I am not sure how you would do this. I think your best bet is to ask on a forum like http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/ but explain clearly in your question what your after. E.g. I think what you want the view to show is for February, all items in any year for the month of February. Good luck!

22. Scott says:

Hello Ryan,

Using your same logic would it be possible to create a filter on time?

Filter Requirement: Want to create a view to see from 3pm Yesterday to 3pm Today.

I came up with this calculated column MetricsTime:
    =TEXT(Modified,”h:mm:ss AM/PM”)

Then applied this filter:

Modified Greater than or Equal: [Today]-1
    AND
    MetricsTime greater than or equal: 3:00:00 PM

Issue: This filter will show me everything even past 3pm.
    Any suggestions or thoughts?

23. Scott says:

Hello Ryan,

Quick question, can this logic be applied to Time? I’m lookig to do a filter (daily view) from 3pm yesterday to 3pm Today.

Steps taken:
    1) Created calc column (Metric) with this formula to:
    =TEXT(Modified,”h:mm:ss AM/PM”)

2) Created Filter:
    Column Modifed – Greater than or equal to: [Today]-1
    AND
    Column Metric – Greater than or equal to: 3:00:00 PM

Issue: This will show me everything from Yesterday starting at 3pm but will not stop at 3pm TODAY.

Any ideas how to get specific daily view 3pm yesterday to 3pm Today.

Thank you for your time.

24. Amy says:

Hi there,

My agency just migrated from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010. I’m trying to configure a Calendar webpart to reflect only upcoming events in a migrated list to match what folks were used to seeing in the 2007 site (all events occuring today and greater). I’m reading that in your post above that none of this will work with recurring events.

Are there any options to capture BOTH recurring events and one-time events that will occur today forward (or even just from tomorrow forward)?

Thanks!